On Tuesday night, the premiere of the new season of the reality TV show Dance Moms aired. The show started quickly, with two grown women physically fighting in Abby’s studio. The result was a bruised head, ripped clothing, and weave falling to the floor. Christy Hunt, mom of Sarah, was one of the women in the brawl. She claims to be a Christian, but her actions may speak differently.
I started watching this show because I grew up in Pittsburgh, where Abby’s studio is located. When Brooke was in middle school, I met her through a family friend, and then became an avid watcher. What can I say, I have to root for the the home team. Last Summer, I even ran into some of the other stars from Dance Moms in my town!
I thought I had seen it all on Dance Moms. I have seen extreme name calling, swearing, adults making kids cry, and hair pulling fights, but I had never heard someone claim to follow Jesus and then hit a women in the face. (more…)
Pursuing Jesus in college is difficult, but it is worth every hardship. You are not alone in this journey. There will be other Christians on your campus, you just have to find them! Here are 7 ways to pursue Jesus during this time of transitioning to college: (more…)
Transitioning to college is a time of change and challenge. The biggest challenge is keeping your faith alive.
College is a time when students are searching for themselves and trying to figure out their worldviews, religious beliefs, dreams, passions, and more. These years are very important in your walk with God. Statistically speaking, freshmen are more open to the gospel than any other year in college. 85% of those who receive Christ do so before the age of 19.
That is a huge number! Think of how influential you are to someone else’s faith journey in college. You could help bring someone from life to death. But this isn’t possible if you turn away from God.
If you don’t make your faith your own now, the world will quickly pull you away from God. (more…)
During busy seasons of life, spending time with God can be forgotten and easily pushed aside. Here are 10 ways to help you have a more effective quiet time.
- Find your spot. Find a quiet spot, or a spot where you can focus.
- Only bring what you need. Bring your Bible, journal, pen, and maybe a devotional book. Leave your computer at home because it can easily become a distraction.
- Plan. Plan it into your schedule. Set a specific time and length each day.
- Start with prayer. Ask God to give you wisdom to understand the scripture you read, and to help you focus on him.
- Journal. Write down what God shows you. As you read scripture, God will teach you things. Write them down so you do not forget them. Write the verses out. This will help you learn the verse, and be able to look back later when God feels distant. (For more about journaling, read Why journal?)
- Praise God. Worship God for who he is.
- Thank God. Thank God for who he is and what he has done.
- Confess your sins. Ask God to reveal any sins that are hurting your relationship with him.
- Write things down. Write out your prayers and answered prayers. You can look back and see how God was faithful.
- Close in prayer.
The summer is only half way over, so don’t give up! Pursue Jesus and purse spending time with him. I’ll be right there with you. =]
Join me in finding joy in the journey.
Lately, I’ve been asking myself why I value Jesus. Do I value him because he is useful or because he is beautiful?
It is easy to forget about the beauty of Jesus, and it is even easier to focus on your own needs and desires.
To figure out why I value Jesus, I went to my journal and looked at what I’ve been praying for. None of my recent prayers have been thanking Jesus or admiring Jesus. They have been about me and my wants.
Jesus, help my friend love me.
Jesus, help me rid my addiction to sugar.
Jesus, use me to further your kingdom.
Jesus, help me. Jesus, help me. Jesus, help me.
I hope summer is going well for you all. I am currently working as a counselor at a camp called SYI, the Summer Youth Institute at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. I’m having a wonderful time! Today we got to go dragon boating down the river! It also made my day when I found out I had a blog post published on XXXchurch.com! I’m super excited about this. The ministry helps with porn addiction recovery. They are a growing ministry and I’m excited to be a part of it.
To read my post, click the link: Follow Joseph Out the Door: A Modern Bible Story
Thanks for all the support from all of you who read my blog and follow me on social media. I hope this post encourages you to flee from temptation in all areas of sin.